If you are thinking of moving into a new role, consider what steps you can take to make this transition easier. Perhaps you have studied marketing but haven’t been in a marketing role. What can you do to help position yourself for this move?
Here are ten suggestions:
- Volunteer your services to a community organisation. This will give you current, relevant experience.
- Join relevant professional associations.
- Attend relevant seminars to keep up to date in your field.
- Find a mentor to give you advice.
- Are there ways you could include some aspect of your desired field in your current job?
- Make contact with people in your organisation who work in your desired field. Seek their advice.
- Volunteer for projects that are linked to your field.
- Find a coach who can support you in reaching your goal.
- Read journals and other material relevant to your desired field.
- Attend relevant conferences and mix and mingle. You never know who you might meet.